Sunday, April 5, 2015

A mostly very good day


This week was frantic, but since I had to take a head shot of this kid (above, on right) for her student ID, I said in payment she would have to be in my self portrait for the week. I'm glad she obliged.

Today was Easter and while we aren't religious, we enjoyed the day with said kid, her boyfriend, and her brother. We cooked too complicated and too much and it was all really good. I made carrot cupcakes to top it all off. Everybody was in good spirits, which to me makes for an excellent day.

But before anybody arrived today, I kicked the coffee table, which isn't a coffee table at all but a very large antique cedar chest. I kicked it hard enough to see stars and wonder if I was going to throw up. So for the rest of the day my baby toe was beginning its transition to the swollen, purple-red, rather painful appendage it is tonight as I sit, finally, and post this. Not that the toe stuff has anything to do with this self portrait. But here I am, with my daughter who willingly wraps her arms around me again after a couple of rough years, and for that I am deeply, overwhelmingly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment