Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Into the Wild



I was out at the game preserve last night. It is a favorite spot for both Lisa and me. Wide open spaces, animals and all their sounds, plants, water, dirt, and much more. A beautiful place to open your eyes and really see. We have been there on calm days, warm days, very cold days, we don't care.

Last night I went there with my son and my husband. The wind was whipping everywhere, we saw birds struggling to fly against it. My hair kept hitting me in the face, even after I put my son's hat on. The wind was relentless and I kept thinking, nothing can stop this wind. It is free. It is wild. It is untamable.

Words I don't find to describe myself at all. I'd like them to. Very much. But I see myself as quiet, a rule follower, a good girl.

As we were heading back to the car my husband mentioned how photography has brought out a bolder side to me. He's impressed with all the places I've gone with my camera, how adventurous I've become in just the past year or so. I let that sink in and I saw myself in a different way. I thought about the photographs I had just taken. The ones I kept taking even after I started to get tired.
I let the wind hit me last night and I felt it in my bones. It was cold and uncomfortable but I held my own against it.

I am more than the limits I place on myself.

I am free.

I am wild.

I am untamable.

I am anything I choose to be.

3 comments: