Thursday, June 25, 2015

What I Need



Today I discovered that somewhere inside of me is a needy little girl. A little girl who wants to fit in and be cherished but who long ago learned, or taught herself, that needing and wanting were signs of weakness.

So she pulled away, folded inside of herself and swatted her own hand every time the need arose. She stopped asking. She decided that anyone who loved her was wrong. That she should know better than  anyone what was really inside.

She was wrong.

I was wrong.

I am needy. I am weak. I am giving. I am strong.

Today I realized that I need to ask for what I want.

I have to ask for what I want.

I have to hug that little girl and stop swatting her hand.

She is precious, and cherished.

She is necessary.

And so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment