Friday, June 19, 2015

Dreaming



A few years ago I was told that the dream of my life, my sacred dream, has always been within me. Held safely in a secret chamber of my heart. That I alone had the power to unlock that chamber and begin to nurture that dream. All I had to do was allow myself to remember. To stop thinking so hard and to begin feeling.

This was not an easy task for me. Words I heard growing up had encased my heart and caused me to forget my dreams.

"Don't get your hopes up."

"We don't want you to be disappointed."

I know these words were spoken out of love and concern, but they planted seeds of fear and skepticism. Then they became harsher words that I told myself.

"Dreams are unrealistic and stupid."

"You can't have that."

"You can't do that."

I lived this way for many years. Managing to still make a wonderful life, with a husband and children, friends and travel, a life that was full of love and enjoyment. But I didn't dream. I lived in a world of safety and comfort, not trying for fear of failing. Fear that made it difficult to even contemplate the idea of a sacred dream.

But something happened five years ago that helped me to dig deep into my soul and figure out what I really wanted in life. I opened up that secret chamber and decided that I was worthy of dreams. That dreams are not only possible, but necessary. For all of us.

If you had asked me if I was a dreamer five years and four months ago. my answer would have been a resounding 'No'.

Now though, I not only dream, but I share those dreams with others. I bring those dreams to fruition. Some are still sitting, waiting to happen. Some might never happen. But you know what?

That's ok.

That's life, lived to its fullest.
Where fear is met with persistence.
Success is met with gratitude.
Failure is met with grace.

Where dreams are welcome. Always.


1 comment: