Saturday, March 21, 2015

See the Light





As Lisa mentioned on her blog post we went on a photo tour of the Ohio State Reformatory yesterday and since I hadn't done my self-portrait yet for the week I decided to try shooting myself while we we at the former prison. Normally I am very self-conscious about taking posed photos of myself in public, but it wasn't very crowded in the warden's quarters and my friends were all there so I decided to go for it here.

It's the dreaded full body shot again and as I look at this picture I think all the same negative things about myself. I'm heavy, I have a strange look on my face, my hair is messy. Blah, blah. I almost didn't choose this one. I almost went for one where my figure is a blurry, ghostly image. But that's not me, that's not a self-portrait. That's more hiding.

I like this one as a photograph. The light behind me from the windows illuminating my head and shoulders is dramatic and lovely. There's a nice balance here. The sepia tone gives it a soft, gentle quality.

One of my friends once told me they sense a certain light or glow about me, they can see it and they wished that I could see it too. I like to think it looks like this. I like to think that someday I will be able to see the light in myself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment