Thursday, January 8, 2015

They say the first time is the hardest


I was trying to come up with reasons why I am participating in a weekly self-portrait photography blog. As I have told my friend and cohort Lisa many times, the very idea of this project scares me. Making a commitment to post a new photo of myself once a week is a daunting prospect for me. I am not always fond of how I look. I could certainly lose quite a few pounds, I'm saggy in places, I have large pores and some wrinkles on my face. Why would I want to document something I don't even like seeing in the mirror most of the time? And there you have it, why would I? My answer is simple. Because I want to like what I see, overweight, saggy, wrinkles and all. I believe that forcing myself to step in front of the camera once a week will get me to see beyond my self-described flaws.

But why put these portraits out in a public forum? Why not just make them for myself? Another simple answer, because making them public helps to keep me accountable. This blog is here to make me keep my word to myself. Take a self-portrait once a week and post it.

I hope I can make creative and interesting photographs. I hope to keep them fresh and have fun with it. Most of all, I hope I can stop judging myself so harshly.

No comments:

Post a Comment