Friday, January 22, 2016

On selfies and what I reveal by not revealing

I have this app called Tin Type. I like to use it on photos of myself. It brightens my eyes and smooths everything out, makes my skin look smooth. Almost unnatural if you want the truth. 

In addition to editing my selfies, I have a few tricks for making myself look better when I take the photo. The phone is held up and I tilt my head just so, to get my good angles. A slight smile, but not big, lest I show the chips in my teeth. It can be quite a process. 

Never shoot from below! 

Is it lying when I post these edited and posed shots of myself? Is it vanity? Or just a tweak to enhance my good points?  I suppose it's any and all of those. 

Today for your perusal, I give you three versions of a selfie. 

One posed, but not edited. 


One posed and edited. 


One not edited and not so posed.


Which one is the real Jane? A photo cannot show the true essence of a person. It can come close sometimes, but it can't really capture who that person is, what they believe, who they love, and who loves them. What I am willing to reveal in any self portrait says more about me than the actual photo. 

Sometimes I think I share more of myself in the written part of this blog than in the photos. I'd like to change that for the next few entires. There are not many left before I hit 52! We'll see if my ego will step aside and allow me to really dig deep and show a side of me that I have yet to reveal. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment