Friday, January 22, 2016

Imagination


I am in a photography class. It just started, and we've only met once so far. We won't be doing anything like this, but already I realize I'm going to have to challenge myself in this class. I have to go back to the way I felt when I first started shooting. Open, experimental, unafraid to try things, unafraid to do things the "wrong" way. I've got to approach things with wonder again.

Jane does these gorgeous double exposures, and every time I attempt to create one I get bogged down in the details. It's too much work. The technicality of it scares me. So I work on creating one and then I quit in frustration. But I don't want those things to get in the way.

I took the time today to figure out how to merge a self portrait with a film image I took in early December which just came back from the processor. The options are limitless and it's a very creative (if challenging) process. It's like editing your writing... when do you stop? There is no perfect--there are only creative choices. I stopped here. And I really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment