Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Summer's end


Just like that, summer is over.

It was summer all weekend. Glorious, hot, steamy, stay-in-the-water-all-day summer. And then today, it's not. I see everyone's posts about their kids' first day of school. There are splotches of red on the trees. It rained most of the day. I have to go home to the city for a while. Summer is officially done.

I love fall, but I sometimes have issues with transitions. I am comfortable with admitting and facing that now. I need to give myself time to adjust to changes.

So I'm trying to focus on the little things; like, I can't wait to wear scarves (I love scarves), and boots (love those, too), and hats and knee-high socks and cozy sweaters and my favorite robe my daughter gave me more than a decade ago. I can't wait 'til the dog gets chilly at night and snuggles under the covers with me. I love apples and I'm going to eat a ton this fall. I might finish knitting the scarf I started for my daughter last winter (no fun knitting in the hot summer). I'll go visit my kids and take them out for coffee and linger in a warm coffee shop.

So where am I here, in this photo? Holding on to the last vestiges of summer at the cottage, facing into the wild weather and upcoming changes. Things are changing. I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment