Friday, February 5, 2016

Movement

The next assignment in my photography class is movement. All of the assignments are conceptual--which makes it all the more interesting. To me that means I can shoot things that are moving (I can freeze the action or show the movement with a longer shutter speed) or even shoot things that convey movement, like a winding road or an escalator or... I don't know.

(I like not knowing sometimes.)

What I do know is that I am afraid of this assignment. It's kind of out of my comfort zone. It's not where I think I shine, but I'm so intrigued by other photos I see that utilize movement. I am in this class to push my own boundaries, after all. So push I will.

I thought about this and how I could apply it to a self portrait this week. I wanted ethereal, ghostly, not-quite-there and yet there. I feel so half here this week, so pulled into and out of the "normal" world. Can I be firmly planted here and yet half in the shadows? Can I exist here and not turn into vapor, drift away like a summer fog?

I'm working on that. But for today shadows, movement, a little light.




No comments:

Post a Comment